Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Tuesday Musings #4

Where did you grow up/live as you grew up up until the present? What is your earliest memory and how old were you? Did you play piano or a musical instrument at all or sports in high school or were you the studious type? Is there anything that you did that you think your parents didn't know about (and remember they just might read this or your children could so be cautious).
In honor of Mother's Day...tell us something that you learned from your mother (step mother, grandmother) that you practice today and/or something that they did that you wish that you had started to do with your family or life. Remember wishes can come true!


I grew up in a few different places. My family moved about 10 times before I hit the 5th grade. I lived in Downey and a few other CA locations, Colorado, Arizona, Norwalk (CA), Yorba Linda, and finally in the 5th grade, Norco. This is where I stayed until I graduated from high school and it was off to Rexburg, Provo, Atlanta, Amelia Island (FL) and finally back here to CA. Even after all that, I really think I enjoy moving!

My earliest memory would have to be the house in Colorado. I turned 3 here. I remember the long dark stairway to the basement where all my toys were kept. I remember my 3rd birthday party and the pin-the-tail-on-the-donkey game on the wall. I remember some other random things like the snow and what the front of the house looked like with the chain link fence around the yard.

I started taking piano lessons in kindergarten and continued until the 4th grade. We had finally moved too far away from my teacher and I'd pretty much lost all interest. I still remember much of it but I was too young to have taken it very far. I'm grateful now because I can read music and I can dink some things out on the piano...just not always recognizably!

I was neither the jock nor the studious one. In high school I played varsity volleyball and softball, and my grades were good enough for me to graduate with high honors. School came easy for me and I must have really enjoyed the easy "A" as you would rarely catch me signing up for more advanced classes. I sure didn't care to stretch myself!
There were a few things I did that I doubt my parents knew about (though I think I've told them most everything at this point). However, I can't think of anything I would like to divulge here in this open forum! I wasn't a bad kid but like most everyone, I pushed the envelope occassionally. I'm just grateful for truly good parents that let me make my own decisions and allowed me a lot of freedom and trust. This is probably the only reason I am here today, unscathed.
My mother is one of the most charitable people I know. She has always put everyone else before her own needs...so much so that I've always thought she was a bit crazy! Rarely did a day go by that she wasn't off taking something to someone or cleaning someone else's house. As I get older, I am learning to appreciate the lessons in humility she very quietly taught by her example and I am more aware of the amazing qualities I need to work to closely emulate. I am not the best at this and I know it is something that I would love for my children to see and understand. So, my wish is that I can become more like my mother and in so doing, my kids will have a good example to follow and maybe someday wish to be the same way.

No comments: