Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Tuesday Musings #1

How many jobs have you had and what was your favorite one?

Wow! This is a loaded question and I will have to dive into the deepest recesses of my mind in the hopes of remembering each and every job - there really were quite a few but I am proud to say that I was never fired from any of them:) That should count for something, right? Anyway - I've wanted to memorialize this for some time so now is as good a time as any...
1. Dial-A-Burger - yes, you read it right...Dial-A-Burger. And it was exactly what it sounds like...fast food delivery for burgers and fries. It was a fun job, I was 15 1/2 and I got to work with a few friends of mine...some who are probably reading this! Ok, yes, I babysat, but this is the first taxed income I ever made. This job paid my car insurance so that I could occassionally drive the Astro van...when it wasn't already in use.
2. Yogur-Mania - Frozen yogurt, all the toppings you could want, and soup and sandwiches made to order. Oh, it was good!
3. Edwards Theatres - Concessions and cashier...this job had some great benefits (free movies and popcorn) and by the time I was a cashier, my pervert boss would extend these benefits to my friends so long as they were decent looking (which of course they all were)! I worked here through half my junior year and my entire senior year.
4. Norco Medical Group - During my senior year (yes, I had two jobs), I worked as a medical records clerk, pulling, copying, and transferring medical files - lots and lots of paper - five days a week for 4 hours a day.
5. Nordstrom - Childrens Shoes. This was a great job as Nordstrom is one of the best paying retail jobs out there and a great company to work for. Unfortunately, I got this job at the end of my senior year and I left in August for Ricks college. You know, I considered sticking around thinking I had it pretty good working there...good thing I came to my senses!
6. AppleOne - Temp agency. The summer after my freshman year I was placed at Allstate Insurance to handle part time reception and work in their mailroom. The only thing good about this job was that my weekends were free...but I was bored out of my mind! I guess this is the closest I've come to being laid off or fired. Heather and I took a week's vacation in Hawaii that September and when I got back they had replaced me...oh well. Temp work waits for no one!
7. Grease Monkey - I was the cashier at a 10 minute oil and lube place. It was grimy and the guys I worked with were even grimier but they were fun and we played a lot of rummy.
8. Souplantation - Cashier and salad bar hostess. This job woke me up and made me realize that I really had to go back to school (I had taken the fall semester off thinking I'd just go to school locally - that did not work out so well and I was back up at Ricks that January).
9. Olive Garden - Server. This job was great fun...maybe because I spent so much time trying to get off early so that Rebecca and I could leave and go out playing instead of sticking around to make the much needed money. Oh well. They do have the best bread sticks!
10. Nanny - Provo, UT. Ok, not officially - meaning I did not get a paycheck. I lived with my cousin and babysat for my rent. That counts, right?
11. MTA Trucking School - Receptionist. One of the strangest jobs I've had...or maybe it was just the people I worked with. Ask me sometime and I'll tell you a story of counterfeit pee and a ziploc bag...
12. Sears Call Center - This job I hated the most! Two days a week from 5am-10am. Couldn't be a more depressing job! I only lasted a couple of months...or maybe less??
13. Galaxy Diner - I was a "dancing" server. Yes, we had to dance to Greased Lightening whenever someone put it on the juke box. This I loathed and I didn't much like the late hours and crappy tips but all in all the pay was decent for Provo.
14. TGI Fridays - This was my favorite serving job! Good thing, because I worked here off and on (mostly on) for the next 5 or 6 years. We wore the crazy hats and tights with buttons galore on our suspenders. Sometimes I looked like a freak but that was the charm of the job and as for a social life - there is no better place to be in a college town if you have to work nights and weekends. We had so much fun and honestly, I was really good at it (if I don't say so myself:)), so really it was just a party!
15. Eclipse Marketing - Atlanta, GA selling pest control door to door. Wow does this pay well....that is if you last long enough and can handle the rigors of the job. I could not, however, and lasted merely a month before I threw in the towel....which leads us to job #16...
16. Orkin Pest Control - That's right. I quit and went looking for another job (knowing I would also have to find a new place to live but wanting to stay in Atlanta). Orkin offered me a job killing the bugs rather than selling the service. Strangely enough, I really enjoyed this gig. I can tell you some great "bug" tales but overall, the freedom of the job was enough to keep me happy for the summer. Besides, I really loved Atlanta and the olympics were there too!
17. Afterschool Program Asst. Director - This was an afternoon job with the elementary school kids that I worked alongside my TGI Fridays job. It paid a little but the hours were for one of my two required internships needed for graduation. I was just grateful it paid minimum!
18. Recreation Intern - Amelia Island Plantation, FL. #2 of the required internships. I spent the entire summer on a little coastal island in northern Florida. Is was interesting...to say the least. I have many stories from this experience and there were many life-lessons learned.
19. Dentrix/Easy Dental - This was, once again, one of my two jobs. I continued to work at Fridays but worked this one as the office/weekday gig (I had graduated at this point and had a lot of bills!). I handled everything for their electronic claims...a little bit of sign-up, set-up and some computer support.
20. TGI Fridays in California - I just couldn't get enough of it back in UT! I also worked an assortment of temp jobs and some permanent that I hated enough to quit after a week or two.
21. FAI - Brea, CA - Receptionist to Project Manager for a computer services/consulting company. Not the best time of my life though I matured A LOT and I met my husband. I guess I have some bitter sweet memories.
22. Telelogic - Irvine, CA - High end project management software company where I handled licensing and pre and post sales support. This was the best job I ever had! It was a miracle I landed it and it continued to be an incredible blessing in my life. I gained an immense amount of self confidence and felt fulfilled in my work and accomplishments there. Plus, they paid really well and the benefits were unparalled. Needless to say, it was difficult to leave.
23. Ahhhh, the best job of all! Mommy! Since pretty much my entire blog is spent on this job - what more do I have to say?...I know you are all thanking me:)

No comments: